By: Dr. Abhishek Kumar Pandey, Asstt. Editor-ICN
LUCKNOW: A Toothbrush is the most useful and habitually used oral hygiene aid to keep the oral cavity healthy. According to the Council on dental therapeutics Of the American dental association, a toothbrush is primarily designed to promote cleanliness of the teeth and the oral cavity.
Objectives of Tooth brushing
1: To clean the teeth and interdental areas
2: To prevent plaque formation
3: To stimulate and massage the gingival tissue
4: to clean the tongue
- Manual Toothbrush:- A Manual Toothbrush is a brushing tool that is not electrically powered, which helps clean the gums ,teeth and interdental spaces, The handle of manual toothbrush is usually made of plastic and the bristles of nylon . A Toothbrush is gently moved under the gum line using an up and down motion to remove plaque, food remnants, and debris.
- Electric Toothbrush:-An Electric Toothbrush is a battery-operated brush and when the button is pressed, its head starts oscillating, rotating, or vibrating, which helps clean the teeth effortlessly. In an ordinary Electric Toothbrush, the frequency of oscillation may be around 40 Hertz (HZ).
- Ultrasonic Toothbrush: – An Ultrasonic Toothbrush is a Manual Toothbrush with a piezoelectric ultrasonic transducer (a device used to convert energy into an ultrasonic vibration) fixed to its head, which helps destroy bacteria, besides eliminating debris and stains from the teeth. It also helps remove stains beneath Dental Braces.
- Interdental Brush: – An Interdental Brush helps clean the interproximal and furcation area of the teeth. It can even reach under Dental Bridges and prosthetic units. Interdental Brushes are available in varying sizes and thicknesses. An Interdental Brush can also be used around the arch wires in a patient undergoing orthodontic treatment or those using space maintainers or periodontal splints.
- Kids Toothbrush: – A Kids Toothbrush should have soft round bristles to help clean a child’s teeth efficiently. Its head should be small enough to fit in the mouth of a child and clean all the areas in the oral cavity.
- Disposable Toothbrush
- Chewable Toothbrush
- End – tuft Brush
- Eco friendly Toothbrush
Maintenance of Toothbrush
1: Do not store a Toothbrush in a closed container
2: Store a Toothbrush upright in a dry place
3: Rinse with an Antibacterial Mouth Rinse after brushing to get rid of residual Toothpaste and debris
4: Rinsing with an Antibacterial Mouth Rinse after brushing may help to reduce bacterial growth on a Toothbrush.