By: Satyendra Kumar Singh, Editor-ICN
The film making and production has always been seen as a glamorous industry. It is part of mass media as it offers entertainment, information and communication. It includes various domains of creativity such as acting, directing, producing, script writing, cinematography, sound recording, visual mixing, editing etc. It also looks into various managerial aspects like selection of sites, budgets, personnel management etc.
Hence it required professional skills in various areas like cinematography, sound engineering and editing to name a few.
Career in film making includes the profile as discussed below:
Producer: He has to manage the story, resources, appoints the cast, crew and director, finalises the locations and looks after legal issues etc.
Director: He looks after the choreography, costume, music, cast and crew to name a few.
Editor: The editor has to closely interact with the director and producer to enable special effects and synchronize the sounds. He applies the cut wherever required and work upon the sequence of the scenes.
Screenplay Writer: With a creative blend of mind, a screenplay writer brings forth the imaginations and visualisations on the screen.
Actor: An actor brings the feelings on the screen out of his acting and is expected to bring the real character and establish connect with audience.
Animator: An animator uses his creative and technical skills to prepare cartoons, advertisements, moving images, fight scenes, games and superficial effects.
Cinematographer: It is a technical profile that takes care of lights, camera and other setup to create an effective visual impact.
Cameraman: This profile works in close coordination with the cinematographer and technical team to capture the scenes.
Lighting Technician: The cinema plays with camera and lights. The lighting technician takes care of light effects to create background scenes such as night while it is still a daytime.
Soundmen: The recording of songs, music and dialogues is followed by editing, dubbing, mixing the effects. The soundmen take care of all these technical aspects of sound in the film.
The major courses in this area are:
- Bachelor of Film technology (BFT)
- Diploma in Film Acting (DFA)
- Diploma in Video production
- Post Graduate Diploma in Film and TV production
Some of the famous and highly sought colleges in India (in alphabetical sorted order) are:
- Asian Academy of Film and TV, Noida
- Delhi Film Institute, Delhi
- Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune
- Film and Television Institute of Tamil Nadu, Chennai
- Jamia Milla Islamia, New Delhi
- Satyajit Ray Film and Television Institute (SRFTI), Kolkata
- SRM Sivaji Ganesan Film Institute, Chennai
- Whistling Woods International, Mumbai
- Xavier Institute of Communication, Mumbai
- Zee Institute Of Media Arts (ZIMA), Mumbai